Friday, December 05, 2008

Going commando.

So. Inspired by beautiful bald woman, and tired of endlessly adjusting scarves and hats, I am going commando. I tried it out first at my oncologist's appt today (and he and the nurse both gushed appropriately at my "gorgeous head," which I'm sure they say to everyone, but still, it gave me confidence) and in the chemo room, and then at lunch afterward. I am ready to try it out in more places. And yeah, I'm ready for questions, too. But somehow, this feels like a style choice more than a "trying to cover up my head and therefore looking vulnerable and sick" choice, you know? So the prospect of questions doesn't bother me quite so much.

Too, my doctor said that everything is going really well. That has certainly improved my mood - as has the fact that chemo this time only took one stick (last time, it took 7 or 8 to find a vein, which wasn't awful, but it sure wasn't fun).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad your' doctor said that about everything going well. I'll bet you look marvelous, too.

Green said...

Just in case it comes up, if anyone tells you that you have an egg-shaped head, that's a compliment. A hairdresser told my brother once he had "a beautiful, egg-shaped head", which is how I know.

Linda said...

I'm glad you're trying it. As for pushy folks - a good answer seems to be "Why do you ask?" Kind of takes them aback a bit.

CrackerLilo said...

I'm glad you feel confident enough to go out bare-headed and extremely glad that the doctor thinks everything's going well!