Monday, January 05, 2009

Random thoughts.

Well, I realized that I actually still have a week left of break before classes start, so I'm not letting the fact that Bean has to go back to school *this* week throw me. I plan to hit the gym tomorrow, assuming I can still walk (the Taxol-induced achiness has gotten a bit worse over the last couple of hours, but it's still FAR better than last time - I'm not in bed, for example).

Mr. P. is reading "The Curious Case of Benjamin Button" to Bean. I always found that story disturbing and creepy, and I don't understand how it is that it seems to have become a delightful holiday movie, or why Mr. P. thinks it won't freak out Bean. I guess we shall see.

In other news, Bean now has in his possession the game "Operation," which I threatened not to buy after he tormented me by talking about the booger that is one of the many things that can be removed. ICK. I told him if he kept talking about it, I might have to throw up, and he delighted in saying "booger" over and over until I warned him that I would not get the game if he didn't knock it off. Now the question is, Will the child do his homework in time to be allowed to play the game before bed?

Oh, and - Franken won the election, but Coleman, that dink, is going to challenge him in court. I am very interested to see what happens next, and I can't imagine how Coleman isn't going to piss off MN voters by prolonging this...

Finally - I watched a little of Confessions of a Teen Idol - as much as I could bear - and came away feeling very, very sorry for these guys. What moved me to pity was that not once did I hear anyone say anything like, "I really loved acting/singing - it was the one time in my life when I felt like my greatest joy and my career were the same thing. I have always wanted to study the craft, and even though I left the business, I couldn't stay away - I got involved in my kids' school productions and did some community theater. I would just love to have another chance to make my living doing what I love." See, if anyone had said that, I would have thought, well, there's a person who will find happiness. They are in it for the love of the work. But instead, former teen idol after former teen idol kept saying dumb shit like, "I had it all, and now I don't, and I want it again." "It was a great life - I was on top of the world - I had any woman I wanted, and I partied every night. I'd love a shot at that again." Here's a tip, guys: that's not only really boring and shallow, but it also makes you pretty unsympathetic characters. Why on earth would anyone watch this, much less want to see more of you?

(Edited to add a link to a review I really like.)

2 comments:

Green said...

You know, I think I saw part of that show - was it a bunch of guys (two of whom had been on Baywatch, one from Fame) sitting around in a circle? I could not watch it very long. They all had recent spray tans and teeth whitening and you could tell they hoped that just being on that show would be enough for someone to call and ask them to be in a role. Squicked me out.

Plain(s)feminist said...

Yes, that is exactly the one, and that's exactly what bothered me about it.