Monday, July 16, 2007

Support the Lesbian Seven.

I hadn't followed this story because I naively assumed that it was such a ludicrous case that of course the court would find in favor of the defendants. (And, also, I refuse to watch sensationalistic news much anymore, so you can imagine what that leaves me with.)

Sometimes I wonder what planet I think I'm living on.

Anyway, if you haven't kept up with this story, please go to Heart's blog and read about it. And then consider helping.

Specifically, what is needed is:
*Pro-bono legal support for the appeal.
*Media contacts and writers.
*Pen pals for the women who are in prison.
*Money for legal fees, collect calls from prison, transportation costs upstate for prison visits, paying for prison commissary.
*Diverse organizational support: Building a public campaign requires support from all
corners. If you think the sentences these women are receiving are too harsh, there is a place for your support.

For more information about how to get involved, please contact:
Bran Fenner [bran@fiercenyc.org], Jessica Robertson [jessonia@gmail.com], or Jessica Stern [sternj@hrw.org].

3 comments:

Alcuin Bramerton said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Green said...

I'm glad you wrote about this. I think it should be appealed on the grounds that the judge clearly showed favoritism towards one side.

I'd also like to read what they were sentences with and what the minimum and maximum sentences are for what they were charged with.

Guess I'll be doing some research.

Plain(s)feminist said...

I agree - very definite favoritism.

If you do find out how the sentences they received compare with the min and max sentences, please let me know. (Because I'm too lazy to research this for myself!)