Friday, June 27, 2008

Well, I did need a lift...

Apparently, some of Bean's friends have seen the new Iron Man movie, or at least they've seen the commercials and heard the Black Sabbath song. Bean came home singing, "I - am - Iron Man - kick me in the balls and I'll still stand!"

So, first, we had to explain what "balls" were, and he didn't believe us, so he started smacking them to prove that it really wouldn't hurt, and Mr. P had to intervene and have a longer discussion with him. Then, once we had established that one should not smack or otherwise traumatize one's balls, we had to explain that songs with the word "balls" in them are not songs to be sung outside of one's own room. (This proved a challenge, though he's taken lately to replacing "balls" with "head." I still think these are unnecessarily violent lyrics for a little boy to sing, but hey, it's an improvement.)

As part of my push to get him to stop singing about being kicked in the balls, I had the distinct pleasure of getting to introduce Bean to the Black Sabbath original. Which is seeming a lot less cool tonight than it did yesterday morning, as we have since listened to it at least 15 times. And in addition to the Black Sabbath version, we've also listened to several "Chipmunks" versions, as well as the parody, "I am Santa Claus," which is really quite clever, and maybe even better.

As a result, all of these songs are now ringing in my head, and I am beginning to hate Ozzy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So funny. And here I thought attachment parenting resulted in these angelic, docile children. I think of that every time you make a post portraying Bean as a typical 6 year old.

Plain(s)feminist said...

I think a better way of looking at it is not that it produces docile children, but that it might take the edge off (for everyone).

Green said...

You don't write about him often, but I love the Bean stories.