Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I knew things were going to go well...

...when I first turned on CNN early in the evening and saw all the talking heads saying, "this suggests that Obama is not only going to win, but potentially, win big," and then I flipped it over to FOX where they were running the headline, "too close to call."

Also, the SD abortion ban failed again, which was by no means a sure thing - for months, people working on the inside have been saying that they fully expected it to go the other way. I'm not sure what turned around, but I'm thrilled that it failed.

Now, let's just hope Proposition 8 in CA also fails, and that Al Franken beats out Norm Coleman in the recount...

I am reminded of Michele Obama's comment (used to try to discredit her) about feeling proud to be an American for the first time. I felt some of that on the night that Bill Clinton was elected in 1992, but what I feel now is much more powerful. I have a lot more pride in this country and in its people. I really feel like we are headed for a change, a change that will help us all. And I am delighted to have as a leader someone whom I can respect not only for being an educated and talented leader, but also for being someone with integrity, discipline, and wisdom. I'm grateful that we will have a leader whom other countries will respect, and with whom they will work. And I'm glad that we have finally made it to an era when a Black man can not only become president, but can do so with the substantial support of white voters.

Here's to the next four years! ~clink~

2 comments:

Renegade Evolution said...

Cheers indeed. the gay marriage bans in FL, CA and AZ are upsetting, as is the Prop K outcome, but YAY for Obama.

belledame222 said...

-clinks-

Yeah, 8 was Not Cool, (along with everything else RE mentions and some other shit here in SF, no doubt lots more local initatives and races too) but in a way I think even that might ultimately turn out to be more galvanizing than if it had lost and they'd just tried again (and again, and again), especially by such a narrow margin. Heartbreaking as it is in the short term--I really feel awful for one classmate in particular who'd just gotten married. People are -pissed.- I may blog about it some more later.

But yeah, it was overall an awesome day. I could hear people celebrating in the street, even fireworks, all into the night...