Tuesday, August 11, 2009

I shoulda gone to art school...

...or at least taken a class in color and/or painting. I'm trying to manage a couple of small painting projects before we move, and it feels a lot like trying to make up a song, like my brain isn't big or strong enough to manage the different colors/sounds all at once, especially when the paint swatches/notes are so very close in color/tone. Right now I've got this bright purpl-y thing going that was supposed to be much darker and with more brown in it. Maybe another coat or two...

And IKEA continues to confound me with it's impossible instructions. I consider myself to be fairly smart, and I decipher a number of these to put furniture pieces together. This hinge business, though, is a whole nother thing.

And, we're moving. So I'm off to grab a few more random things off bookcases and dressers, out of cupboards and closets. See you later.

3 comments:

CrackerLilo said...

Advice on painting: Get a small sample. Get several samples, actually, close in tone. Ask for 'em. They'll make you cute little jars of paint, and sometimes when you're lucky, you get them for free.

Now, get posterboards, the white ones that kids present science projects on. Adhere them to the walls you want to paint somehow (you probably don't want to nail them and leave holes). Try the color you want on them and see how they look in the light when they dry.

You can also salvage your paint--see if you can get it re-mixed to your specs.

To hell with IKEA. :-)

Good luck!!!!

CrackerLilo said...

Oh, I forgot--you want the matte side of the posterboards out, not the shiny kind. And if your wall's already a color rather than white, maybe you'll want a posterboard that comes sort of close to that color (like, black if you've got dark brown or navy walls, yellow if you have yellow, etc.)

Green said...

Wait you're moving? Where ya goin? I wish I lived closer to you - I LOVE painting and would totally help you.