Friday, October 31, 2008

I am hairless!

So, I beat the chemo to the punch and had my head shaved yesterday. I am pleased to report that the experience of having my hair cut off, as well as the experience of having no hair, are really not such a big deal. (I think I look a tiny bit like Alison Bechdel, or maybe more like one of her characters.) Anyway, Bean is adjusting well - he likes that I have a partial wig that can be worn under a hat, because when I wear that, it looks a lot like my hair used to look. For myself, I prefer leaving my head uncovered or wearing a cotton scarf - I don't like the feeling of anything on my head, although the air itself is now something I can feel and it feels weird trying to get nothing of off one's head. I also like wearing my soft, fuzzy caps (since it is nearly November here, after all).

I've been told I have a nicely-shaped head, which is a good thing - I was a little worried that I was going to look like an egg once the hair came off, but I don't. Nor do I look as good as Demi Moore with a shaved head, either, but I can make this work. My only concern is that I don't want to be mistaken for a skinhead. I suppose that is unlikely...

6 comments:

bobvis said...

beat the chemo to the punch and had my head shaved yesterday

Good on you for making it a choice! I think it's much better to do it that way and get it all done with yourself. I can report the same kind of sensations when I shaved my head. You first feel like something is missing even when you are just sitting there, but you wonder why you bothered with it in the first place.

A word of warning: you will find it easier to bump your head into things. You don't get any sense that you are close to something until you actually hit it. I don't know what is the mechanism, but bald I was more susceptible. Just be a little conscious of it in the car and other places, and you'll do great.

Again, I'm glad you did it. I wouldn't worry about the skinhead suspicions. I think the likelihood of that is 0. Forget Demi Moore. I'm sure you look awesome.

Anonymous said...

First, I wish you strength and courage as you prepare for this battle.

Second, about twice a year, I like to cut off all my hair and shave it down to the scalp. Feels like my brain finally gets some air.

I hope all goes well for you in this difficult time.

Best regards,

Todd Epp
SD Watch http://www.southdakotawatch.net

Daisy said...

I would probably go for the colorful-religious/hippie scarved-look myself.

Yes, good for you for making it a choice. I have very long hair, and it would kill me to lose it. But I HAVE thought of cutting it all off, lots of times... and that is not scary at all, now, is it? Obviously, the difference is losing vs. choosing. Thank you for the concept.

(((PF)))

math4knitters said...

I knew you would look good with your hair off! Now you should totally rock whatever makeup you like - it will stand out more. Or, maybe a bellydancer-style turban every once in a while?

Renegade Evolution said...

or (she says grinning) a TATTOO!

Plain(s)feminist said...

Dude, that would HURT!!!!!

I am rocking lots of turbans and cool stuff - the biggest problem is that my hair no longer balances my body size, so now I feel like my clothes look weird and unflattering. Hmmm...perhaps time for a shopping trip...