Saturday, June 27, 2009

The MJ Furor.

Seriously, this is bizarre. The fan frenzy surrounding Michael Jackson's death is turning friend against friend. One of my Facebook friends has been defriended by one of *her* Facebook friends - and called a "douchebag" - for not liking Michael Jackson. I have a suspicion that this is not an isolated incident.

I also think it's odd that we are surprised by the internet and Twitter traffic his death has caused. This is what happens when an icon dies. Had Twitter been around when Princess Diana died, it would have happened then, as well. Further, while I am in agreement with the lamentations about the state of journalism and of America's attention span as evidenced by the media focus on Michael Jackson rather than, say, Iran, I also don't think this is anything new. Has there been any noteworthy media coverage on the Congo, lately? No? Thought not. At least in this case, there is a particular news item that is overwhelming other news stories, and it is not simply that America doesn't give a shit.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was defriended on facebook because of Michael Jackson, too. First, I put, "Danielle wonders if Farrah is pissed that Michael is stealing her thunder." I got thirteen comments all thinking that was funny.

Then, I thought I would be even more funny and put "This Just In: Michael Jackson is now dating Chris from Southpark."

The ones who watch SP got it. One of my old church buddies, not so much. He first said, "Who's Chris from Southpark?"
Then, in another comment, said, "Never mind, I got it. You are a hateful person. Goodbye and God Bless You."

I looked to the left and saw that I had one less friend. I couldn't believe it. Some of my friends and family put outlandish stuff on facebook that I don't like or agree with, and I just don't say anything. If it's something I feel strongly about, I'll just comment that I think facebook needs a "dislike" button.

But I'm never about to post stuff on that site like that. It's a site for friends, not really for disagreements.

CrackerLilo said...

It's amazing how many lives his music and dancing touched, all over the world. I think children of the 1970s and 1980s are particularly nostalgic. Maybe that's what it is. I for one teared up a little bit and now would like the furor to please die down. I also don't feel a need to know his medical history. He's dead. There won't be any more music from him. Let's appreciate what we have, and then move on.

Maybe it's good that I'm not on Facebook. :-)

Then again, I remember my reaction to Kurt Cobain's suicide in 1994. It was not exactly blase.