Wednesday, November 29, 2006

Hitty Pitty.

Bean is wandering around saying:
"Hitty Pitty within the wall.
Hitty Pitty without the wall.
If you touch Hitty Pitty, Hitty Pitty will bite you."

Over and over.

This is a riddle from Beatrix Potter's The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin. None of us know what the answer to the riddle is (Bean just said, in a thoughtful way, "I wonder what Hitty Pitty looks like?").

But my sweetie and I have been giving each other odd looks, each thinking that this is getting a bit creepy. As he says, "this is like one of those movies, where the kid knows some weird rhyme that no one else understands about some person or creature. Then, later on, the thing comes back and rips everyone to pieces."

Or, you know, maybe it's something like this.

(OK, OK, I did look up Hitty Pitty and it's not anything so very exciting at all. I like the possibilities we came up with better. But at least I'll sleep tonight.)

No comments: