Friday, September 15, 2006

South Dakotans, standing UP.

I'm the kind of person who worries excessively about about provoking wacko crazies. Therefore, my car has no bumper stickers on it. And I get very nervous when I have to do things like knock on doors and urge people to vote against the abortion ban.

This may surprise some of you.

The truth is, I worry a lot about what people think of me, and it causes me great anxiety and indigestion if I learn that someone is angry with me or doesn't like me. I also worry that rabid anti-choice activists might shoot me, or worse, not want to be my friend.

So I'm always a bit apprehensive when I go out into the wilds of South Dakota sporting my pro-choice t-shirts.

Last week, I got a new Planned Parenthood shirt that says "Stand UP for South Dakota!" on the front. I wore it to the bowling alley (birthday partyfor one of my son's friends), and one of the other moms asked me what it meant. I responded, "It's a Planned Parenthood shirt," and braced myself for what I was sure would be a cool response.

"Thank God SOMEONE around here still has some common sense," she replied.

Tonight, I wore the same shirt out to dinner at Granite City. When I walked in the door of the restaurant, one of the hostesses came rushing up to ask me where I'd gotten it so that she, too, could get one.

I think I might branch out into bumper stickers next since the t-shirt is working so well for me...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your courage! The rest of the country should Stand UP for South Dakota too. Just today, Jerry Falwell said he is going to raise $4 million dollars to push to keep the ban - no doubt a campaign of lies and fear... let's all work together for South Daktoa www.sdhealthyfamilies.org

Plain(s)feminist said...

Yes - and there's a link on the Campaign's site to a Voter Guide: http://www.sdhealthyfamilies.org/voterguide.php

If anyone wants to make a donation to help SD women, you can make one to Planned Parenthood here: http://www.ppmns.org