Monday, January 02, 2006

Happy New Year -- Cleaning Up

Probably most of the time, when someone tells you she spent her New Year's Day cleaning up puke, you figure she had a good time the night before. I DID have a good time on New Year's Eve, but not that kind of good time.

After literally YEARS of staying home with the in-laws on New Year's Eve, I actually went out this year -- and not just out, but out to TWO parties. I felt wildly liberated to have big plans for the evening, let me tell you. The first party was somewhat formal -- wine and conversation. The company was delightful, and I had an awesome and long conversation about American medicine with a doctor who had assisted in the delivery of his own son. The second party was equally fun, and more informal -- beer, pool, and cards. I got in one really good (lucky) pool shot and pretty much sucked otherwise.

So I had a great New Year's Eve, didn't drink too much, and got to bed at a not-too-unreasonable hour. New Year's Day morning, however, my nearly-four-year-old son complained of not feeling well. By the end of the day, he had thrown up in his bed. Then, one of the cats starting throwing up. Altogether, by 1am today, I had had to wash three sets of sheets and pajamias and clean up several spots on the rug. And I slept (not too well) on the floor at the foot of my bed in which my kid slept, so that I would be right there if he needed me but not so close that I'd catch whatever he had.

All of this wouldn't be so bad if I weren't Parent On Duty until my partner gets back tomorrow -- and if I didn't have a brand new class beginning tomorrow for which I have to prepare brand new lectures -- and if I didn't have to cancel all of my babysitting arrangements for yesterday and today because of my kid's illness.

And on top of all of this, the Lost DVDs are due back at the video place today, and I only made it through the very beginning of the two-part season finale.

Way to start off the New Year with a bang!

No comments: