Saturday, March 25, 2006

Scary Movie.

It's been one hell of a week, which you can probably tell by the fact that I haven't posted in a few days. I haven't gotten a decent night's sleep in some time - I spent my late nights this week trying to grade papers and prep for classes. I did this at my favorite coffee shop and rediscovered why studying in groups never worked for me in college. (It was midterm week, and several students I know were there at the same time as I was - I had lots of interesting conversations, though.)

And then it was just a hard week. There's been snow. It's been cold. I haven't done enough laundry, and once this week I had to wear the same pair of underwear twice. I feel no shame in admitting this. You all know you've done it.

Last night, I went out for an end-of-shitty-week / end-of-midterms drink. I made the mistake of going to the biggest meat market in town. Now, the first few times I went there, I had a good time, and perhaps that's why I keep going back every now and then - I keep thinking that it can't possibly be so bad if I had a good time there once or twice. But it really is so bad. The whole place has a kind of yucky feel, not from the establishment itself but from the patrons. Men feel absolutely free to treat women like shit. Case in point: while I was there, some asshole starting filming me on his video phone. He wasn't even tactful enough to do it surreptitiously. He was pointing that thing at me, focusing on it entirely, and smirking. I had to walk over and tell him to cut it out. What was the point of filming me? I wasn't doing anything particularly interesting, nor was I wearing anything revealing. But by filming me and by doing it in such an obvious way, like he didn't care if I saw him, he made me feel like he thought I was there for his entertainment. And that is a typical assumption there, and one that makes me feel violated.

And then, later that night, I got cursed out by someone I don't even know, which didn't add to my happy good time mood.

Today I taught two afternoon classes - yes, on the Friday beginning Spring Break. (Surprisingly good attendance, though.) Apparently nearly everyone else cancelled their Friday classes, however, which I thought we weren't allowed to do, and which also didn't add to my happy good time mood.

And I'm "single parent on duty" tonight, so I stopped at the video store on the way home to get movies for the kid (after swinging through Taco John, because I like my kid to eat healthily - I'm such a good mom). We picked out several movies for him and a couple for me. Among my choices was Satan's Little Helper, a film one of my good friends from high school worked on and which I had never seen. So, even though it didn't look like good "home by myself" fare, I decided to check it out.

All I can say is that, when a film is over and I leapfrog over the couch to get to the remote to turn it off because the menu screen has a picture of the bad guy and I don't want to see the bad guy because he freaks me out - it's a creepy film. It really is creepy, no kidding - it's basically like Jason meets Michael Meyers meets that Saturday morning Goosebumps show, but in a scary way. It's not a great film, but it's worth seeing. Except I would have enjoyed it a lot more if the annoying kid had gotten killed off, because he really was too stupid to live.

Here's something else creepy: I was just about to write that I was freaked out enough to pop open the DVD tray so that the film wouldn't accidentally start playing itself again, or something. And then just as I started this paragraph, the DVD player closed itself up again and turned off. But the t.v. is still on, and anyway, I don't like the DVD planning my evening for me, especially when I've just seen a scary movie that I don't want to watch again. It starts to feel like I'm not the one calling the shots, know what I mean? So I had to stop typing and get up and take the DVD out of the player and put it away while trying not to look at the image on the cover of the case.

See? Isn't it unsettling if you look at it long enough? I mean, yeah, it looks like a guy in a mask, but there are a couple of places on the DVD where it doesn't - it just looks hideously evil.

Click on it to get the full effect.

No comments: