Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Dykes to Watch out for

Apparently, I haven't been paying attention, because I've only just learned that one of my favorite comic strips has a home on Blogger.

I started reading DTWOF in college. It was sort of my entrance into the world of lesbian feminists (you might call it a gateway drug). I have been reading it ever since. There's something comforting about once-cutting-edge, bad-girl Lois growing older along with the rest of us. And over time, there have been big changes to the cast, including one character, Sparrow, whom everyone assumed was a lesbian, ending up with a bisexual identity - bi visibility in comics! - and a guy, and a kid. Alison Bechdel's serial comedy has something for everyone - even abstinence-pledging, conservative-Christian, Bush-loving (no pun intended - well, maybe just a little) lesbians.

Check it out.

2 comments:

Carrie said...

That's hilarious. I used to read DTWOF at Bryn Mawr, where it was in the college paper. Geez, I can't believe it's still around.

Plain(s)feminist said...

Hi Brooke,
This is a great topic for a post. I'll post something soon and maybe we can have a longer discussion about exactly this! Thanks!