Monday, February 06, 2006

February Blahs

Yeah, so I gained a ton of weight, I haven't made it to the gym more than once a week in ages, I'm eating crap food, I'm not getting enough sleep, and I figured I might as well whine at you guys about it for a while. This is a kind of shitty post, but the server's going to be down in a few minutes and I wanted to get something up after losing all my new posts the other day. (I'll be back to my regularly scheduled programming soon, I promise. I've got some good stuff coming up - film stuff, maybe even! - so if you don't like ranting, feel free to skip today's post.)

Just to give you a quick background - I gained about 40 pounds in grad school and then more weight after I had my son. On July 5, 2003, I decided I'd had enough and starting going to Weight Watchers. I've lost about 35 pounds since then, and I started working out really seriously last spring. Then, in June, I started working with a trainer and lifting. So in about six or ten weeks, I lost a couple of dress sizes. By the time school started last fall, lemme tell ya, I was feeling pretty buff.

But then we went to visit my folks for Christmas, and it was like a nonstop food orgy. And January was a lot like Christmas for some reason, even though I managed to lose a little of the weight.

And then last week I went to Pierre, as you know, maybe because we were travelling for so many hours in the car, I was just hungry all the time, and I ate ravenously. And then I came back home and we spent the rest of the week going out for dinner.

So, here I am, first day of classes of the Spring term, and my clothes are too tight. There is nothing more depressing than having a whole wardrobe (and my wardrobe is actually pretty small to begin with) that is too tight. I have no idea how I'll get through the week. I went out dancing on Saturday night, and I had nothing to wear, because my club clothes (actually, tank tops and black jeans, but "club clothes" sounds better, doesn't it?) didn't fit, either.

And then on top of that, it's just so damn cold all of a sudden. I mean, I know it's South Dakota and it's winter and everything, but jeez. It was just getting warm enough to start running outside, and now we're down to the frostbite weather again.

Which is another thing. I was running like crazy all last fall - I did two 5Ks and I was doing 10-minute miles all the time. And now I'm lucky if I run once or twice a month. I can feel myself getting out of shape and losing muscle tone, and IT SUCKS.

OK - enough whining. Here's what I'm doing about it - I'm getting back into the gym. I'm getting signed up again with the personal trainer. I'm going to Weight Watchers again - I'm sick of counting points, to be honest, but it WORKS.

End of rant.

No comments: